EIGHTY years ago this year 150 people were obliged to evacuate their homes in Imber on Salisbury Plain.
A few times each year the public is allowed in to see what remains and to view displays in the church about the local environment and the history of the former settlement. The church tower houses a light ring of six bells, the oldest having been cast in 1852. On the afternoon of Sunday, August 27, a group of bellringers, mostly from the Salisbury area, gathered at St Giles church to attempt a Quarter Peal of Cambridge Minor.
That attempt was successful and the six ringers are pictured here celebrating their achievement with a mug of tea – having first inscribed the performance in the official record book.