Dorset and Wiltshire fire service warnings as winter approaches

People are being urged to take simple steps to protect themselves from accidental fires and carbon monoxide poisoning as the winter approaches.

The Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service (DEFRS) has made the appeal as households look to keep warm and cut energy use amid a cost-of-living crisis.

The National Fire Chiefs Council has launched ‘Stay Fire Safe’ in response to concerns that people will turn to alternative ways of heating and lighting their homes in a bid to save money.

Alongside this, DWFRS has its own #SaveSafely campaign, which offers advice on where savings can be a false economy, and how to reduce the risks when doing things differently.

There is also signposting to financial support, and a range of energy saving tips.
Prevention delivery manager at DWFRS, Ian Hopkins, said: “The most important thing that people can do this winter is make sure they have working smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms.
“We offer free Safe & Well visits, which includes fitting these devices where they are needed, so there’s no cost to the individual.”
He added: “We know that the rising cost of living is a huge concern to so many people within our community, and we are doing all we can to support them with saving safely this winter.

“Please take a look at and get in touch if you need our help.”

For more information on the free Safe & Well advice, which can include a home visit and the provision of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, call free on 0800 038 2323 or visit

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *