Elderly resident rescued from Amesbury kitchen fire

AN elderly person with limited mobility was rescued from a property when fire broke out.

Crews from Amesbury and Salisbury were sent to the home after reports of smoke in a kitchen at around 9.30am this morning (January 19).

After arriving at the property, in Wittenham View, Amesbury, a Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said one person was rescued.

“The elderly occupant had limited mobility and was not able to leave the property,” they said.

“The control firefighter taking the emergency call stayed on the line to them and gave fire survival guidance, encouraging the occupier to move towards a door to get fresh air.

“The first fire crew arrived quickly and assisted the occupier outside into fresh air.”

An item left on the cooker hob was responsible for the blaze and was ‘quickly extinguished’, they said.

“Natural ventilation was used to clear the property of smoke,” the spokesperson added.

“Firefighters used a trauma pack and oxygen therapy to treat the occupier for possible smoke inhalation and an ambulance was also quickly on scene to provide medical care.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *