Racing returns to Larkhill on New Year’s Day, weather permitting. Larkhill Racecourse offers a Point to Point course in the spectacular setting of Salisbury Plain.
On the day, three will be seven competitive races, with the first scheduled for 11.30am.
Entry is only £15.00 for adults, under 16’s go free and there is no charge for parking.
Racing has been taking place at Larkhill since 1947 and it is considered one of the best courses in the country.
The previous race, due to be held on December 18, was abandoned because of the frozen conditions.
“We are very fortunate to have a wonderful team of volunteers and professional supporting services, such as vets, horse welfare teams, doctors and paramedics who will be on duty and we look forward to an exciting day of racing,” said clerk of the course, Roly Rickcord.
“We hope for a good entry and wish for a good attendance at the home of Military Racing.”
It is a departure for a local point to point to run on New Year’s Day and it is to be hoped that a good crowd will attend following the Christmas Holidays.
It is an excellent opportunity to enjoy the splendid course at Larkhill on Salisbury Plain but do ensure if you attend that you are suitably dressed with warm clothing.
As well as the racing there will be trade stands, food and drink outlets, and bookmakers for those who wish to use them.
All Larkhill Racecourse fixtures count towards the Larkhill Specialist Awards, these are:
● Best Horse: The Larkhill Specialist Cup and a head portrait of the winning horse by leading equine artist Nina Squire.
● Best Trainer: For the Tom Inglis Memorial Cup and £50 voucher kindly donated by Halifax Hats.
● Best Jockey: For the Richard Noyce Memorial Trophy and an enlarged framed photograph of the winning jockey in action at Larkhill.
● Best Owner/Trainer: For the West of England Bookmakers Association Cup and a free £20 bet at every race meeting held at Larkhill in the following year.
● Best Owner/Rider: For the Elektrik 11 Challenge Bowl, kindly presented by Mr Jeremy Robb.
Points are allotted as follows:
● Open Races: Winner 10, Second 5, Third 3.
● Other Races: Winner 7, Second 5, Third 3.
The course is signposted off the A345, the Amesbury to Marlborough Road.
Information and Tickets can be found at: